Activity 1: Keep Snowflakes to study (or just for fun!) by freezing a piece of glass and a can of aerosol hairspray. Keep them in the freezer until the next snowfall. When you are ready;
1) take them out of the freezer
2) spray the glass with the hairspray
3) go out and let the snow fall on the glass
4) bring it indoors and let thaw for about 15 minutes.
We’d love to see the results – send us a photo of the results or post the photos in the comments below!
Activity 2: Measuring Snow
1) collect some snow in a transparent (that means you can see through it) container
2) mark the level on the container (label this mark as “Initial Level”)
3) bring it inside
What will happen to the level when the snow melts? Try guessing where the level will end up and mark that level. Were you surprised by the results?
Try it again with different variations: packing the snow down, adding more or less snow to the container for your initial level, etc. We’d love to hear your results in the comments below!